Steel, LLC has a long, successful track record of design-build projects in numerous market segments across the country. Our ability to actively engage the customer and design team in cost-effective, efficient, and constructible solutions is reliant upon the thorough and diligent management of all design-build projects. Strong and effective project managers are essential in producing optimal results for a design-build company.
What are the main responsibilities of a project manager?
Like all project management, there are two main concerns in design-build:
- Management and thorough communication of your clients’ wants and needs to the team
- Management and thorough communication with your design and build teams
Dealing with clients can be a challenge. In order to manage expectations, extremely thorough communication and realistic deadlines and design are key. To efficiently manage a client, it is important for a project manager to do the following:
– Conduct strict and detailed audits of each new project
– Review project specifications and contract design drawings to ensure that the Client’s needs are being satisfied.
– Inform and advise the client on their responsibilities and obligations in each development
– Maintain constant and clear communication with the Owner, General Contractor, Architect, Structural Engineer and Steel Detailers to ensure high quality in the finished steel structure.
When managing internal teams, a good project manager has tested systems in place for managing efficiency and accuracy. Put simply, the main goals for managing your teams are:
– Encouraging designers to use their talents and experience fully to create competitive and unparalleled results
– Managing time to ensure that projects are completed in a quality, yet cost-effective manner
– Ensuring that each project adheres to legislation, standards, and codes of best practice
So what makes a good project manager?
Project management can be a high-stress position, particularly when dealing with high-level corporate clients in costly construction projects. It is essential for a project manager to have great people skills and a high level of composure in order to keep employee/client relations positive. Organization is essential, and an expert knowledge of all aspects of design and construction are key to effective management and control.